I am actively looking for self-motivated students to join my research team. I have been working on computer networks and distributed systems for several years. Particularly, I am highly interested in network architectures, online social networks, cloud computing, and mobile computing. I am fond of massive data analysis and modeling. Also, I enjoy building practical Internet-based systems and get them deployed in diverse network environments.
My goal is to provide a happy and rewarding journey to my students. Please read the following text carefully if you are interested in working with me.
I will make sure the students receive help from me when they need:
- Students can choose from multiple research topics. Experienced students are welcome to come up with their own ideas.
- I meet with students weekly or bi-weekly for research discussion, and they can ask for more frequent meetings when necessary.
- I provide full support for my students’ future job applications and graduate school applications.
- I offer students opportunities to attend top international conferences, and will introduce them to world-leading researchers when possible.
- For the students with an excellent performance, I always find them internship opportunities in top universities and research labs around the world. My students worked as research interns in University of Chicago (USA), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA), HKUST-DT SyMLab (Hong Kong SAR), Swedish Institute of Computer Science (Sweden), Bell Labs (Germany), Aalto University (Finland), University of New South Wales (Australia), University of Goettingen (Germany), NEC Laboratories Europe (Germany), Tsinghua University (China), Peking University (China), China’s State Key Laboratory of Computer Science (China) and Microsoft Research Asia (China).
I expect the following from my students:
- A strong passion to explore challenging problems in the field of computer networks.
- Good at C++ programming (knowledge of Python is a strong plus), and willing to build running Internet-based systems or discover useful patterns from tens of GBs of raw data.
- Willing to use Linux for development, use git for collaboration, use Google to search and use LaTeX to write reports.
- Willing to use English for your presentations, reports and emails. Speaking Chinese is not allowed in our group meetings.
- Keep tracking latest research outcomes from top conferences and journals.
- Be professional, honest, and open-minded.